1. The Romanian government has an important role in the new State Aid Scheme for film and television productions. The plan authorizes a 35% CASH REBATE of the Romanian Spent and 10% extra for promoting Romania in an explicit way.
2. Cash Rebate of 50% is also available for withholding taxes due in respect of all foreign cast and crew part of the Romanian budget.
3. The rebate plan is valid for the following formats:
· Feature films
· Medium and short fiction films
· Internet and any other media platforms films
· TV series
· Documentaries and animated films.
4. To qualify for the State Aid Scheme, the Romanian expenditure should exceed a minimum of €100,000 but no more than 80% of the total production budget. Each project may request up to 10M€ cash rebate. The total annual budget accounts for 50M€ and is granted on a first-come, first served basis.
5. To conclude, eligible projects can claim back 35% of the eligible expenses incurred in Romania to which a 10% bonus may apply if the production expressly promotes Romania (e.g. Romanian landmarks, regions, cities, traditions, etc).
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE?
Eligible projects include: mini-series, feature films, TV series, animations, documentaries, on any media platform, but with the exception of commercials, soap opera and talks show.
* It’s important to know that the Cultural Test is essential for all the projects.